The saying: “you are what you eat”, has always been true. However, while we might make the connection that what we eat affects our health and weight, many do not realise that what you put in your body can also have an effect on your skin. In this article, we will discuss why certain foods can affect your skin and list the best foods for healthy skin.
Does a Healthy Diet Improve Your Skin?
Yes, a healthy diet can improve your skin! If you suffer from acne, a lack of glow, and any other skin conditions and have tried every cream, wash, and facial on the market then the problem might not lie with your skincare routine but rather with the food you are eating. Our skin, and the condition it is in, is one of the first identifiers of an unhealthy diet. It can also be a sign of a food intolerance. It is therefore important that you take a look at your diet and make some improvements. While it might take a while to see results, there is definitely a connection between what we consume and the health of our skin.
Best Foods for Skin Repair
The first thing you should do when trying to heal your skin is to cut out all processed foods. There are a lot of ingredients in processed food that triggers skin conditions such as acne. However, you should not only cut out certain foods but also ad other, healthier foods that are known for skin repair. Some of these foods include:
- Fatty Fish: Salmon, mackerel, sardines and other fatty fish are well known for their high omega-3 fatty acid content. It is beneficial to include this into your diet as omega-3 is great at decreasing inflammation as well as increasing the skin’s hydration. This will ultimately lead to skin that is smoother and more supple.
- Leafy Greens: Spinach, kale, broccoli, and other such leafy greens are fantastic for skin repair as they contain a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Some of the vitamins and minerals within leafy greens include vitamin A, vitamin C, and zinc!
- Berries: Berries such as blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries are packed with antioxidants. These antioxidants can help protect the skin from UV damage and pollution which is known to cause premature ageing and other skin problems.
- Nuts: There are a variety of nuts and seeds that are rich in vitamin E. This is significant as vitamin E protects the skin from free radical damage!
- Avocado: If you are looking for a skin superfood then avocado is your friend! Filled with healthy fats, vitamin E, and vitamin C, avocado is key to maintaining healthy skin. It also contains lutein which is a compound that helps with skin elasticity and hydration.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes contain a specific antioxidant known as lycopene. This antioxidant will also protect your skin from potential UV damage.
It is important to note that lactose and sugar are notoriously bad for skin health and can actually cause breakouts. Therefore, try to stay away from milk, cheese, chocolate, and anything that has these ingredients. Instead, try to switch to something like almond milk and if you really have a sweet tooth craving, opt for dark chocolate.
A Diet That Includes the Best Foods for Healthy Skin
Slender Wonder believes in creating an eating plan that not only helps you lose weight but helps heal your body on multiple levels. Our diet does not leave you feeling deprived and contains all the foods that will leave your skin feeling happy and glowing.
Contact us at Slender Wonder to find out more about the health benefits you can experience when you follow our diet which also happens to contain the best foods for healthy skin!