The festive season may be over by the braai season and outdoor life does not have to be. Enjoy these light, lean meals and snacks while you sit outside by the pool, go on picnics or simply enjoy time together as a family!
Roasted Beef and Apple Kebabs
6 Skewers, wooden or metal
200 g Beef fillet, very lean, cubed (2.5 cm x 2.5 cm)
250 ml Beef Stock cooled
60 ml Apple cider vinegar or Lemon juice, fresh
2 Clove(s) garlic, crushed or minced
4 ml Slender Wonder Flavours of the World Seasoning (or similar mixed spice)
2 ml Sweetener to taste
250 ml Water
30 ml Lemon juice, fresh
1 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled
85 g Onions
70 g Green peppers
30 g Mushrooms, button
Herbal salt to taste, Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from charring during cooking.
- Combine the stock, vinegar or lemon, garlic, seasoning and sweetener. Marinade the beef for 30 minutes or longer.
- Mix the water and lemon juice. Cut the unpeeled apple into kebab-size cubes (2 cm x 2 cm). Briefly dip the apples in the water and lemon juice solution to prevent browning.
- Cut the onion, and on GM, ST and MN the green pepper, into wedges and prepare petals (2 cm x 2 cm). Optional: boil or steam the petals for approximately 3 minutes in water to soften slightly.
- Skewer the beef, apple and vegetables shortly before cooking. Keep the marinade.
- Grill in the oven on an aluminum foil sheet or braai, until the desired level of doneness. Baste frequently with the remaining marinade.
- Season to taste.
To turn this into a meal: Serve with a baby potato salad with sun-dried tomatoes.
Caramelized chicken and onion wraps
100 g Chicken fillet, cut into small bite-sized pieces
4 ml Slender Wonder Flavours of the World Seasoning (or similar), or to taste
25 ml Lemon juice, fresh
45 ml Slender Wonder Vegetable or Chicken Stock, divided
1 ml Sweetener
45 g Onions, sliced
2 Tortillas (18 cm)
15 ml Sweet Chilli Sauce
15 g Spinach, chopped or micro greens
25 g Tomatoes, baby, finely diced
15 g Cucumber, seeded, diced, dry with kitchen paper
10 ml Coriander or parsley, fresh, chopped
Tabasco, red, to taste (optional)
- Season the chicken strips with Slender Wonder Flavours of the World or similar seasoning and let them marinade at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Combine the lemon juice, stock and sweetener and add to a medium-sized saucepan. Heat to just below boiling point and add the onions. Turn the heat down and cook until the onions are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir frequently and periodically deglaze the pan with some of the stock. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
Using the same pan, stir-fry the chicken on a high heat until it starts to brown. Add a few drops of the stock to prevent it from sticking to the pan. Reduce the heat, add the onions, and heat through.
- Heat the tortilla(s) briefly in the microwave or follow instructions on the packet.
- Smear the Sweet Chilli Sauce* in the center of the tortilla.
- Arrange the chicken, vegetables and herbs in the center of the tortilla. Add the Tabasco.
- Wrap the tortilla(s). Fold both sides toward the center. Fold the edge nearest you towards the center. Roll the wrap away from you, while keeping the fillings tight.
- Wrap tightly in foil. Cut diagonally into two.
It’s a meal!
- Replace the chicken with ostrich, venison or beef fillet.
- For a vegetarian option, prepare with cheese.
- Substitute the Sweet Chilli Sauce with Slender Wonder Salad Dressing*.
250 ml Yoghurt, fat-free, plain
100 g Cucumber, seeded, grated
1 Clove of garlic, minced
15 ml Lemon juice, fresh
15 ml Dill, fresh, finely chopped (optional)
15 ml Mint, fresh, finely chopped (optional)
- Strain the yoghurt for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator, using a coffee filter.
- Drain the liquid from the cucumber in a metal strainer and sprinkle with salt. Use the back of a spoon to squeeze out excess liquid from the cucumber pieces.
- Combine the yoghurt and cucumber with the rest of the ingredients and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
- Store the Skinny Tzatziki in the refrigerator for up to a week.
200 g Mixed root vegetables of choice: Beetroot / Butternut / Carrots / Parsnips / Turnips
Suggested Seasonings: Herbal salt; Freshly ground black pepper; Cardamom powder; Ground ginger; Curry powder; Chilli powder; Slender Wonder Seafood Seasoning*; Cajun Dry Rub Seasoning *; Slender Wonder Flavours of the World Seasoning*.
- Place the oven shelf or grid on the lowest setting in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel the vegetables. Using a swivel peeler or mandolin, slice the vegetables diagonally into wafer-thin crisps. Spread out on a paper towel and pat dry to remove excess moisture. The less moisture there is, the crispier the crisps will be.
- Spray the vegetables lightly with non-stick cooking spray on both sides.
- Spray a non-stick baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Arrange in a single layer of the vegetables on a baking tray and sprinkle with the seasonings.
- Roast on the lowest shelf in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, turning half-way through. Add seasonings to taste. Continue cooking until the vegetables curl up, are dry and crisp, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread out on paper towel until cooled. It will crisp up as it cools down. If after the cooling off period the vegetables are not crisp, put them back into the oven for 5 – 10 minutes at 200°C.
- Serve immediately or cool down and transfer to airtight containers.